Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Welcome to Department Thrift Shopping 101

So you want to thrift store shop but don't know where to start? Intimidated by all of the shoulder padded jackets and the mothball smells?
Well, don't fret...

This simple guide will help you map out a plan to find your vintage treasures! This was written for department store shopping but it can also apply to specialty vintage stores too!

What to wear
Wear comfortable clothes. This is essential! A lot of digging is involved in this shopping experience and a pair of little stiletto heels ain't gonna cut it. Wear an outfit that you can easily get in and out of since you'll be trying on god knows how many items.

Don't walk into a thrift store with one thing in mind.
Keep your eyes open to all possibilities.
Sometimes I'm thinking -- Damn! That girl had on some bomb-ass sunglasses that can only be vintage, I'm gonna find them!! -- With a mindset like that, I will definitely overlook other items that are just as worthy of my attention.

Tailors make it possible!
If an shirt is too big or a skirt too small, you can always find a tailor who will add a stretchy spandex band or take in a shirt. You can also add or take out buttons to your piece!

Scan, scan, scan!!

In a crazy department thrift stores things will get tossed here and there. Keep your eyes open at all times for misplaced items. Key things to look out for in a sea of racks are eye-catching prints and unusal materials! Look everywhere! You might actually find that vintage treasure under the racks or behind a nasty XXL dress!



Child's Play
Don't ignore the kid's section -- it's the perfect place to find fitted sport jerseys or boy's jackets. Remember to distinguish between fitted and just plain too small.

Don't hold back!
If someting catches your eye, grab it right away and put it in your cart. This does not mean you are obligated to buy!
Sometimes, I don't pick something up just because I'm being picky and another gal will see me looking at it and grab it which only makes me want it more.

DIY Projects
Sometimes you find a horrid thing of a shirt or skirt but you love the fabric and pattern. Let your creativity wander....why not make a pillow or a drawstring bag to store your valuables? DIY from vintage fabrics are the best because it will most likely always be one of a kind!

Play it smart
Find out what day new merchandise comes in and is stocked. Befriend the store clerks because they will be the ones who will give you discounts and be able to hook you up with cheap pricing on untagged items (in most department thrift stores only).


Febreeze anyone?
Lysol those shoes before you try them on...and don't forget to febreeze that shirt! I like to hang my bulkier items outside to air it out. Most items have been sitting in bags for long periods of time developing a musty smell that sticks to vintage like glue. Sure, dry cleaning a thick vintage coat can be expensive but its worth it if the jacket you got was cheap.

most importantly, HAVE FUN! Let your creativity wander...Some of my best and most complimented items are vintage!

Here are some fun links to check out:
History of the Zipper
Guide to Collecting Patterns
Buying Vintage Jewelry

12 comments:

♥ shopmycloset ♥ said...

Please feel free to add your experiences and comments!!!

XO

Anonymous said...

fabulous!

Anonymous said...

When I go in, I go straight to the jackets! Jackets go fast! I always pick up member's only jackets in diff colors. :) I now have picked up 13 of them, in the past 6 years! :)

♥ shopmycloset ♥ said...

begeebus!!! 13???!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips! you guys are uber cool

Anonymous said...

i'm all about patterns and vintage fabrics.... so when i enter a store, i walk through each aile, looking at only fabrics and patterns, and not just what kind of clothing it is. if something catches my eye, i'll pick it up. and if the style isn't too appealing, i'll buy it anyways and take it home to my sewing machine!

Anonymous said...

This was fun to read. I never knew so much about zippers before! (from your link) I think I might go buy FeBreeze now. teeheeee :)
<3becky

Anonymous said...

yes, perhaps in another post!!!

Anonymous said...

See! That's my problem! I go in thinking only about vintage tees! Because I DO THAt, like aLWayS!, i miss the opportunity of finding other treasures in other sections!!!!!!!!!! I'm A LOST CauSE!

Anonymous said...

is this a sample of a guestblogger? i want to get an idea of what to write. who wrote this one?

Anonymous said...

my favorite places is crossroads!

what's yours>>?

Anonymous said...

wasteland, melrose.